My sweet Grandma Smith passed away last night. She was 89 and her body wasn't working very well anymore, and her mental state had long been dysfunctional. It is a blessing for her to return to Heavenly Father, even though she will be missed by all of us. No matter what the circumstances are, it is always hard when a loved one leaves.
I have many memories of her always offering me one of her many dark colored sweaters in case I was chilly, Handing me used tissues from the pockets of those sweaters, Slathering lotion on her lips, Wanting me to carry a bat to hurt any bad guys who might attack me while walking three blocks to the park, Wanting to set me up with much older boys in the ward, Telling me I plucked my eyebrows too much and I shouldn't, watching the only movie she owned, The Sound of Music, She loved to watch 60 minutes, she had fun childlike excitement at the idea of getting a milkshake, she had an unfailing memory of the gospel, even though she could not remember anything else, and she was a great grandma nanny when my little sister was born.
Last of all, when Jon and I got married, we received lots of marriage advice, but hers is the one that stuck out most of all. It was simple and most definetely profound. She told us "to have lot and lots of patience with eachother", in that sweet little Lousiana accent of hers. I have learned that nothing is truer.
1 comment:
What a sweet tribute to your Grandma. There is never an easy time or way to loose a loved-one and my love goes out to you and your family.
Post a Comment