I like that we can interchange the magnets and adapt to things the boys need to work on. Chase could not remember to make his bed worth his life, so once we made that a magnet, he seemed eager to do it so he could put the magnet up. We have specific chores that he must do everyday, and he gets paid a nickle for each chore. He has to brush teeth, make his bed, clean up toys, do homework, and unload the dishwasher. He can choose to do extra chores to make more money and we pay according to the chore. I have a vacuum and set the table magnet, but otherwise, they use the stars for anything else special they do. We keep the magnets on the bottom half and they move them up to the squares once they accomplish the chore. Logan is my child who is hard to motivate to do anything. He does not ever change out of his pajamas so I have a t-shirt magnet to help remind him. He has to make his bed, brush teeth, pick up toys, and unload the silverware from the dishwasher. I also have an ABC magnet to encourage him want to do "learning"
We started having problems with the boys wanting to play the computer and watch tv all the time. Mostly Logan, since he's home all day. So now we limit the tv and computer time to a certain amount each day and they have to pay a nickle for each 15 minutes they use these things. The boys are motivated to do chores so they can earn money and in return they like to purchase tv and computer time...as well as anything else they would like to do with their money.
Now they know that once they buy their time, that's it.
So that is what we've done and it's worked decently so far. You can make magnet boards really cute and glue all types of fun things anywhere. I like simplicity, and given my lack of crafty ability, there's less things to fall off. hee hee.
4 comments:
That is so cute, I have been looking for an idea to make a cute chore chart!
okay ... SUPER CUTE! And I love that you have a t-shirt magnet for Logan ... I could probably use one of those as it's 11am and I'm still in a bathrobe;)
can you give me the link that you used for the images for the chores? I really really like this idea. brilliant.
i really like how in order to earn any nickels for the "extra" jobs they have to finish the "most do" jobs first.
it all turned out really cute. thanks for the post & good idea.
you and jon do such a good job with your boys!
Tom and Su think you are brillant! This is a great way to teach responsibility and to work for the things you want. You're teaching multiple concepts and the boys are having fun doing it. Thanks for being such good parents to our darling grandsons.
We love you!
Post a Comment