I have been trying to come up with a few fun things for the kids to do during the fun holiday season. Unfortunately, most of what I can come up with is food related. I want to decorate sugar cookies all the time. It's so fun. But we've been overdoing the sweets as it is. So I found this little craft and thought the kids might like it. They did.
You can get paints and glitter and beads and whatever fun thing-a-ma-bobbles you want. I didn't have all that, so I just pulled out the crayola markers. I also halved the recipe. What you see in the pic above is about what I got from halving. (I just remembered that I burned 5 ornaments, so mentally add a few more to the pic)
Salt Dough ornament receipe
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups of hot water
holiday cookie cutters
decorations- glitter, paint, beads, trims, pom poms, mini candies, stars
Mix the first three ingrediants. Roll out and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. Use a toothpick to make a hole for hanging. Be sure to make the hole a little larger than you will want as they tend to close a little while baking.
Using a microwave safe plate, (no paper or cardboard) microwave a plate of ornaments for 1-4 minutes, increasin the time by 1 minute increments and keeping a close eye on the ornaments as they bake. (They can burn if you overbake and a fire is always possible). Let the ornaments cool completely before decorating.
1 comment:
Look at you-that is a great idea!!
Post a Comment