Monday, August 9, 2010

The itsy bitsy spider went up the waterspout...







So is this not huge?

Don't worry, it was not found in our house. This big thing was lounging on the far edge of the driveway, near the grass line. Still disturbing? Yes indeed. I caught it for further examination as well as identification.

I've never come across a spider this big that wasn't behind some glass aquarium. Its the size of a freaking tarantula. We just sat and stared at it, because its eyes were so big that it would just stare back. Creapy stuff, looking a spider eye to eye. Actually it was a girl, because she happened to be carrying hundreds of baby spiders on her body. I am SO ridiculously glad we caught it because I don't want to picture hundreds of tarantula sized spiders crawling all over my lawn.


Yep, you can shudder now.


It was three inches by two and a half.


I got online to identify it. I'm pretty sure it is a wolf spider. I went to a site where a lady had posted a pic of a wolf spider hanging in her window seal. I could not believe what she said. She mentioned that this spider (whom she so lovingly named Molly) was found in her window seal and the lady was concerned that Molly was not receiving enough nourishment. The lady (whom we will call Ms. Crazypants) wanted the world wide web to inform her if there was anything she could do for Molly. She then went on to tell the rest of us spider haters, "That shame on you, flushing spiders down the toilet. There's nothing more horrible than that."


Thank you Mrs. Crazypants. You are truly inspirational and have convinced me to change my ways.
I'm starting a Spider Lovers Anonymous Group, (SLAG). "Secretly" let me know if you want to join with me.


7 comments:

Megan said...

That is so freaking gross!!!!! i would have had a heart attack if i had been you ... and that woman is CRAZY ... seriously who wants to save the spiders--no one!!!!

I'm going to be shuddering for hours after that one.

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh! You should totally flush it! Then tell Ms. Crazypants about its screams as it circles your toilet. You should spray your house.

Jinny and Mick said...

Okay seriously last week I found a HUGE spider that they told me was a wolf spider in our backyard-about the size of that one-except the body wasn't quite as big and the legs were bigger. I still have the heeby jeebies from it. So, so nasty, we don't play in the backyard anymore!! You're much braver than me-catching it in a jar!! I smashed ours to smithereens with a nurf bat!

thebusbyfamily said...

you have no idea how badly this disgusts me! i cannot believe you even attempted to catch this vile thing!!

please tell me you flushed it! or at least made jonnyb kill it.

i'm going to have nightmares.

Sarah+Jamason=Tyler said...

I cant believe you caught it!!! What did you do with it?!

Romney Family said...

that is huge and nasty good for you on catching that thing. I would have let one of the boys do it or better yet I would have smashed it!!

Susan said...

I think if you flushed it, it would clog the toilet! You very accurately describe this one-that is a huge spider. I hope it doesn't have any buddies out in the yard!